FRP Platform specification
FIBERGLASS PLATFORMS AND STRUCTURES
PART 1 ‑ GENERAL
1.1 SCOPE OF WORK
- This specification is for custom FRP Platform and Structures for use in corrosive environments in compliance with the Ontario Building Code
- The publications listed below form a part of this specification to the extent referenced herein. The publications are referred to within the text by the designation only.
AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR TESTING AND MATERIALS (ASTM) Test
ASTM D-638-Tensile Properties of Plastics
ASTM D-790-Flexural Properties of Unreinforced and Reinforced Plastics
ASTM D-2344-Apparent Interlaminar Shear Strength of Parallel Fiber Composites by Short Beam Method
ASTM D-696-Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion for Plastics
ASTM E-84-Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
The Ontario Building Code
1. The CONTRACTOR shall furnish Stamped and Sealed shop drawings by a Professional Engineer registered in The Province of Ontario of all fabricated platforms and accessories in accordance with the provisions of this Section.
2. The CONTRACTOR shall furnish Stamped and Sealed Platform Calculations including Support beams, clips and bolts using the loads as specified in the Ontario Building Code.
3. The CONTRACTOR may be required to submit sample pieces of each item specified herein for acceptance by the ENGINEER as to quality and color. Sample pieces shall be manufactured by the method to be used in the WORK.
1.4 QUALITY ASSURANCE
1. Manufacturer shall offer a 3-year limited warranty on all FRP products against defects in materials and workmanship.
2. FRP structures must be designed by a Professional Engineer with proven 5-years’ experience in FRP design.
3. Manufacturer shall submit an Inspection Test Plan for approval to the engineer
1.5 PRODUCT DELIVERY AND STORAGE
1. Delivery of Materials: Manufactured materials shall be delivered in original, unbroken pallets, packages, containers, or bundles bearing the label of the manufacturer. Adhesives, resins and their catalysts and hardeners shall be crated or boxed separately and noted as such to facilitate their movement to a dry indoor storage facility.
2. Storage of Products: All materials shall be carefully handled to prevent them from abrasion, cracking, chipping, twisting, other deformations, and other types of damage. Adhesives, resins and their catalysts are to be stored in dry indoor storage facilities until they are required.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
FRP Platforms shall be manufactured by
Access Industrial Inc.
5205 Timberlea Blvd
Canada L4W 2S3
(1) 888 557 0070
Engineer approved equal
All platform support beams and grates to be FRP structural shapes manufactured by the pultrusion process. Wall Brackets shall be of FRP Molded Construction using the hand lay up process in accordance to CAN/CGSB 41.22-93 or 316 Stainless Steel.
1. Resins shall be isophthalic polyester with chemical formulation necessary to provide the corrosion resistance, strength and other physical properties as required.
2. All finished surfaces of FRP items and fabrications shall be smooth, resin‑rich, free of voids and without dry spots, cracks, crazes or unreinforced areas. All glass fibers shall be well covered with resin to protect against their exposure due to wear or weathering.
3. All FRP products shall have a tested flame spread rating of 25 or less per ASTM E‑84 Tunnel Test.
4. If there are hatches, the platforms shall have a scissor-type hatch system consisting of 2 or more parallel hatches depending on the dimensions of the
5. All metal fasteners shall be 316SS without exception.
6. All Anchor Bolts shall be 316 SS Hilti Kwik Bolts or ENGINEER approved equal.
7. Pultruded structural shapes used in the platform system are to have the minimum longitudinal mechanical properties listed below:
|Tensile Strength||D-638||30,000 (206)||psi (MPa)|
|Tensile Modulus||D-638||2.5 x 106 (17.2)||psi (GPa)|
|Flexural Strength||D-790||30,000 (206)||psi (MPa)|
|Flexural Modulus||D-790||1.8 x 106 (12.4)||psi (GPa)|
|Flexural Modulus (Full Section)||N/A||2.8 x 106 (19.3)||psi (GPa)|
|Short Beam Shear (Transverse)||D-2344||4,500 (31)||psi (MPa)|
|Shear Modulus (Transverse)||N/A||4.5 x 105 (3.1)||psi (GPa)|
|Coefficient of Thermal Expansion||D-696||8.0 x 10-6|
PART 3 – EXECUTION
1. All platforms shall be designed and laid out in strict accordance with the Ontario Building Code
2. Platforms shall be shop assembled where practical.
3. All cut or machined edges, holes and notches shall be sealed to provide maximum corrosion resistance. All field fabricated cuts shall be coated similarly by the contractor in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
4.0 PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
1. The design load for the FRP Platform shall be 4.8 KPa (100 lbs per sqft).
2. The deflection of FRP Platforms with exception of the hatches shall not exceed L/180 at 4.8KPa.
3. The deflection of hatches mid span should not exceed L/360 at 4.8KPa (100 lbs per sqft)
1. Contractor shall be required to install the platform in strict accordance with manufacturer’s assembly drawing and installation manual.
2. Follow manufacturer’s MSDS sheets when cutting or drilling Fiberglass products or using resin products; provide adequate ventilation.